Saturday, June 18, 2011

Enter the Greco-Roman World

My journeys thus far have focused on things anywhere from 3000-4000 years old. Ancient sites, where mankind has deemed particular places as valuable living space. I have seen ancient houses on this sides of hills, I've trekked through tunnels built nearly 1500 years before Jesus walked the planet, I've swam in water that was once walked upon.

With all the focus on ancient things, I began to lose sight of the modern day world. I had a disconnect from the sights of Abraham, Joshua, King David, Herod the Great, and Jesus and Powell, Ohio or Wheaton, Illinois. How could I relate to events of all the archeological and geographical places to my life as a suburban student in the "New World"? Is the Jesus who I have been following this entire time, the real Jesus? Or is He a product of veggietales and sunday school stories? Did Jesus have heros?

All these questions swirl about in my mind, and I don't have answers for many of them. I have thoughts, I have the beginnings of answers, but to say I have answers already would only hinder the growth I can undergo in seeking out the truth.

As per the disconnect between what I saw in Israel and the life I live, the picture is beginning to become a little more clear. I tend to focus on the big picture things in life. (Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a detail oriented person.) So, as I traveled through Israel, I was looking for the big story. The grand narrative of the Bible. I saw a little bit of everything from Abraham to Jesus.

We ended our time at a cute little site where some people believe the resurrection took place. I have my doubts, but nevertheless, we ended focusing on the phrase "He is not here, He Is Risen!" Which is the crux of the Christian message. Without the Resurrection, we lose. Game over. But, He was raised. He ascended to the right hand of the father, and will return at the end of the age. Sounds like a great stopping place right? Sums everything up in a nice neat package.

But, the ascension of Christ was not the end of the story. We see this clearly in the first chapter of Acts. Acts 1:9, (when Jesus is taken out of the sight of the disciples on the Mt. of Olives) is not where the Bible ends. Acts 1:10 is a verse that I have come to love.

Much as Genesis 12 is a turning point for the Old Testament, Acts 1:10-12 is a turning point of the New Testament. The verse says, "They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk from the city." I imagine 12 grown bearded men, standing on the Mt. of Olives, outside Jerusalem, looking up into the clouds with utter bewilderment. Maybe they were wondering where He was going to come down, maybe they were hoping it wouldn't be on top of their heads. Anyway, the angels come and tell them, He's gone to heaven. So, these 12 men have a choice. What next? Back to fishing? Or, do we really believe?

Side note: The road they were on is called the Ascent of Adumim. It is the natural route between Jerusalem and Jericho. From Jericho, the rift valley leads right up back up to the Sea of Galilee. These men would have associated this road with the start of going home, much like I associate Chicago Traffic with my returning home. They could have easily turned around, picked up their nets a week later, and been back to the normal, comfortable life. But they didn't.

The men made a choice; the verse tells us that they went into Jerusalem, about a Shabbat's days travel (Not far at all... like maybe a half mile.) They decided to heed the call Jesus gave them to spread the gospel unto all the nations. He called some of them to move out of their comfort zones (see earlier post on Peter), he called some of them to meet people in their back yards. He called one man (who my next several posts will focus on) as he was walking from Jerusalem to Damascus to persecute the early church. He called most to sacrifice, even a sacrifice of life.

It is within this call that I have realized two things. One, I have realized the connection of the time in Israel with the Turkey/Greece/Rome part. Now that I have the base of knowing and understanding the things that went on in Israel, I can better understand the events and places here. I have to know the message before understanding the movement.

Secondly, these verses have given me a clear connection from what I have been seeing and learning here to my life back in Powell and Wheaton. As most people know, I am involved in the Youth Hostel Ministry back at Wheaton. I participated last summer, spent the year working on cabinet, and now am the Chair of the ministry. I feel called to be outside of my comfort zone, to reside with people who think differently than me. I feel called to tell them about Jesus. Just like the 12 made the choice to return to Jerusalem, I have made a choice as well.

The grand narrative has started to take form. It has become person.

Fun stuff...

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great place to spend holiday with your family or friends.

    Albergue Da Juventude

    ReplyDelete